Pesticides are chemicals which are designed to kill or harm pests. They include insecticides for insect control, herbicides for weed control, fungicides for fungi and mould control and rodenticides for rodent control.
Household pesticides can be purchased from supermarkets or hardware stores and while they are designed for household use in the home or garden, they are toxic and you do need to be careful with them.
If using pesticides at home, keep this in mind –
- Don’t stock up on pesticides – only buy as much as you need
- Use the product strictly as directed on the label
- Don’t mix pesticides – there may be a dangerous chemical reaction
- Don’t set baits or traps in areas that are accessible to children, pets or native animals
- Wear protective clothing as recommended on the label – gloves, a mask etc.
- Wash your hands really well after use.