These are insects that bore specifically on woody sections of plants. They are mostly moths or beetles that develop into wood borers and are found beneath shrubs and barks of trees. Trees are the main target for the borers. There are different types of borers and they attack different items that include damp, decomposing wood, outer sapwood and cambium of the softwoods such as pine, and seasoned timber.
There are different types of woodborers. Some attack healthy trees while other attack trees that are dying or already dead. Some of the invasive species of woodborers that attack thriving native trees include emerald ash borer and Asian longhorn beetle. An emerald ash borer mainly infest on ash trees. The Asian longhorn beetle attack most hardwood trees.
Woodborers that attack dead or dying trees are useful in natural forests unlike the invasive species. This is because they assist in the turnover of trees as they promote new growth by culling the weak trees as well as enhancing the decomposition of these trees. However they are not that friendly to building structures and furniture made of timber.
There are several damages caused by borers. They all reduce the quality of wood. Borers are wood pest that weaken timber leading to weak building structures especially those built with timber containing lots of sapwood. European corn borers destroy corn development. They cause loses to corn farmers leading to less agricultural productivity. The corn borers infestation leads to stalk lodging and ear drop. Borers’ damage on plants’ parts including stalks and ear shrank causes infectious disease. The invasive species pose a threat to natural forests as they attack healthy, native, mature trees.
Prevention of Borers
Below are some effective wood borer control methods:
- When building, ensure the timber is treated and dry. Wood borers like untreated and moist timber. Dry timber is an effective wood borer treatment.
- Use wood that is resistant to pest or insect attacks e.g. macrocarpa; pine borer control may involve kill drying ridiata pine.
- Use smooth timber for construction of your house. Smooth timber or wood is believed to be a way of borer control because sawn timber is more prone to wood borers or wood pest compared to smooth surface timber.
- Another borer pest control includes airborne treatments such as bombs, fogging or misting. This method kills adult wood borers only but the larvae still live and continue feeding on the timber from the inside.
- Use professional pest control specialists who have the right safety equipment, in case of a large-scale infestation.
- Furniture fumigation is also another wood borer treatment solution offered by pest control companies.
- The only long term borer control or wood pest control is investing on replacing the attacked wood or timber. The borers eat the timber from the inside. It is believed that wood borers can live in wood for 11 years feeding on it. Ensure you use a treated timber when replacing or renovating your house.
If you’re unsure or want to learn more, contact us today and talk to one of our experts.